- Special Offers
- Child Policy
- High Season Dates
- High Season Rates
- Normal Rates
- Rates Document
iSimangaliso Wetland Park
Makakatana Bay Lodge
Makakatana Bay Lodge is the only privately owned safari lodge set on the banks of Lake St Lucia within the iSimangaliso Wetland Park World Heritage Site, the heart of Africa’s largest natural estuary.
iSimangaliso Wetland Park World Heritage Site
The iSimangaliso Wetland Park World Heritage Site is one of the few natural wonders left on earth where there are unspoilt wilderness beaches, vast wetlands and game reserves all combined into one reserve.
Makakatana Bay Lodge is a 4 Star property which is situated within the iSimangaliso Wetland Park, World Heritage Site, Zululand, KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa.
We welcome you to our ‘home from home’ lodge, where we provide comfort and friendship which we complement with a host of safaris’ to explore these incredible wonders!
We create memories by giving our guests the opportunity to explore iSimangaliso Wetland Park by spending time with us on the lakes doorstep. With activities exploring everything that Zululand has to offer, whilst surrounded by coastal forest, wetlands and complete exclusivity in the bush!
- Scuba Diving (Sodwana)
- Whale Watching Safaris (June – Nov)
- Turtle Tours (November – January)
- Deepsea Fishing
- Dumazulu Cultural Village
- Fly Fishing off the beach
- Morning Birding
- Horse Safaris – 21/2 hr beach or game / two hr beach or game ride
- 1 Hour Flight over the Lake & Coastline
Hluhluwe and Umfolozi Big 5 Game Drive
The lodge takes guests on a safari to the Hluhluwe Umfolozi Game Reserve. Guests are up around 5 am and are driven (±50min) to the game reserve to seek out the big 5. A picnic brunch is served at the park and guests return to the lodge by 13H30 for light lunch at 2. Animals in Hluhluwe Umfolozi include Elephant, White Rhino, Black Rhino, Leopard, Lion, Buffalo Cheetah, Wild Dog, Hyena, Giraffe, Zebra, Dyker, Wildebeest, Impala, Reedbuck, Nyala, Kudu, other antelope and many other species of game.
Isimangaliso Wetland Park Lake St Lucia
On 27 April 1897, St Lucia was declared a game reserve. The conservation area was a 35000-hectare lake with a 1km strip of land surrounding the lake. Over time other conservation areas were added and on 1, December 1999 UNESCO declared the lake and adjacent coastal areas a world heritage site. The 328 000 hectare reserve was South Africa’s first world heritage site and encompasses 5 five major ecological zones.
- 2h30 hours drive from Durban
- 1h00 hour drive from Richards Bay Airport
- 6h30 hours drive from Johannesburg
- Makakatana is 30km north of the N2 past Mtubatuba/ St Lucia turn off, therefore the closest town is St Lucia.
Browse through more accommodation options Safari-Destinations offer in Kwa Zulu Natal
Safari Destinations will confirm any special rates on confirmation.
Address: iSimangaliso Wetland Park
Private game viewing decks
En-suite bathroom and toilet
Tea and coffee facilities
Facilities and Services
Private personal service
Five luxurious suites
One Honeymoon Suite
12-bed maximum capacity
Private bush pool on lakes edge
TV in the main lounge
Outdoor dining deck
Boma for bush dinners
Wine cellar in 'Old Crab House.'
Private dining on request.
• We welcome children 6-12 years of age
• Children under the age of 6 are booked subject to special consent of owners, or if there is a group family booking and are to be under supervision of their parents at all times.
• Children rates apply to children sharing with parents. (2 x full paying adults).
• The standard rooms can accommodate a maximum of one extra person sharing with adults, subject to availability of stretcher beds.
• A child sharing with 1 single Adult. The Adult will be charged a single rate and the child will pay the applicable child rate.
• Children occupying their own room will be charged the applicable adult rate.
• Children sharing with parents are accommodated on a stretcher bed.
• Cots are not available at the Lodge and in this event camper cots must be brought by clients.
• There is a Kiddies Menu but we do require that we are informed in advance and confirmed with the chef upon arrival.
• Children’s dinner time is at 18h00 and is served in the main lodge dining area.
• Children’s meal times must be supervised by parents.
• Please advise 24 hours in advance if a baby sitter is needed. The babysitter’s rate is R80 an hour.
• Please note that the swimming pool is unmanned and unfenced.
• Children in and around the swimming pool need to be supervised by their parents at all times.
3 x Standard Twin Rooms
2 x Standard Double Rooms
1 x Honeymoon Suite
2 x Family Rooms
Guests at the Makakatana Bay Lodge have a choice of 8 spacious suites. Three of these are in the dune forest and are frequented by friendly warthogs, red duiker, Nyala, Bush babies, birds, and hippo.
One room at the Bay Lodge provides a view out through the bush onto a vlei, and the other has a view through the bush onto the St Lucia Lake. Large windows and terrace doors, as well as mosquito gauze screen doors, slide open onto private viewing decks, skillfully combining luxury and integration with the environment.
Booking: A non-refundable deposit of 25 % will secure your reservations.
Balance of accommodation account is payable 4 weeks prior to date of arrival.
Bookings between 20 December & 5 January will only be confirmed when non-refundable deposits have been paid.
Provisional bookings will be held for a maximum of 10 days thereafter the provisional booking will be released.
Bookings will be confirmed on receipt of deposit or full payment
Non refundable deposit required on confirmation: 25% of the total lodge costs
30 Days prior to travel date: 50% of the total lodge costs
29 -15 Days prior to travel date: 80% of the total lodge costs
14 - Arrival date: 100% of the total lodge costs
In the event of premature departure the full extent of stay as originally booked will be charged.
Clients are to have their own travel insurance in place to cover unforeseen travel cancellations.
NB. It is the traveler's responsibility to ensure that they have adequate travel insurance for unforeseen cancellations, medical emergencies, etc.
Only written cancellations will be accepted
High Season Dates: 1 January - 1 May and 1 July - 31 December
High Season Rates:
Per person Sharing (PPS) - R4600.00
Single Rate - R6900.00
3rd Adult Sharing - R3680.00
Child Rate (06 - 12 Years) - R2300.00
Low Season - 1 May - 30 June
Per person Sharing (PPS) - R3900.00
Single Rate - R5800.00
3rd Adult Sharing - R3120.00
Child Rate (06 - 12 Years) - R1950.00
Rates Document: Makakatana-bay-2017-DIRECT-RATES.doc