Fitzpatrick’s at Jock is just a kilometre down the road from the main lodge, Jock Safari Lodge. Fitzpatrick’sat Jock is a five-star, family-friendly lodge and has 3 luxurious suites. Fitzpatrick’s Lodge offers personal service in an intimate atmosphere. Perfect for small parties and families.
Fitzpatrick’s at Jock is a 3 room stand-alone lodge offering families personal service in an intimate atmosphere. Upon arrival, the host and/or ranger will discuss activity options with the family taking the family’s size, children’s ages and the weather into consideration.
Child minding is available at an additional cost. Each child will receive a gift pack containing small gifts, some of which they can use during their stay at Fitzpatrick’s at Jock.
Jock Safari Lodges is situated in the South-Western corner of the Kruger National Park, half way between Skukuza and Malelane gates approximately 35 km in both directions with only 3 km of dirt road
Where nearly 2 million hectares of an unrivalled diversity of life forms fuses with historical and archaeological sights – this is real Africa. The world-renowned Kruger National Park offers a wildlife experience that ranks with the best in Africa.
Nestled at the confluence of the Mitomeni* and Biyamiti* rivers at the southern tip of the world famous Kruger National Park, the legend lives on of the story of an intrepid explorer, Sir Percy Fitzpatrick and his trusted dog, Jock. The lodge is situated on 6 000 ha of pristine bushveld and for the exclusive use of the discerning Jock guests.
The concept of Jock Safari Lodge was born by the descendants of the Sir Percy Fitzpatrick and Niven Family. They used the funds of the trust of Sir Fitzpatrick, to build the lodge in the area close to where the history of Sir Percy Fitzpatrick & his dog Jock, took place. The Southern boundary is the old Voortrekker road, which was the transport route for supplies from the Delagoa bay which is now Maputo, up to the gold fields at Pilgrims Rust areas. The Jock concession is the exact side profile of Jock the dog.
In 1982, the Niven Family built a fence around the camp and that helped in preserving all the trees from destruction by visiting elephants. The conservation-conscious Niven family also planted indigenous trees within the fenced area & they have grown to create an ambience under a canopy of shade different to the exposed wilderness just outside of the lodge
Kids on Safari at Fitzpatrick’s at Jock
- Visit the Stevenson Hamilton Museum in Skukuza
- On route to and from Skukuza, they will enjoy a game drive (in closed vehicle) which will stop at all the lookout points to enjoy refreshments
- Junior ranger training while on kiddies drive
- Night walk within the camp
Arts, Crafts, and Games
- Play dough session
- Mini Chef’s
- Arts and crafts
- Puzzles of varying sizes and difficulties covering a broad age range
- A selection of entertaining and educational children’s books
- A selection of fun board games
- All swimming activities must be supervised by parents at all times
- Game drives for children younger than 6 years old are conducted in closed vehicles as per rules and regulations of the Kruger National Park
- Child minding is done by lodge staff and can be arranged with reservations prior to arrival at an additional cost
- Please ensure that all children bring good walking shoes, a large hat and sunscreen and any medicine used to treat allergies
Game Drives & Walks
Game drives can last up to 3 hours each and are conducted twice a day in open vehicles (Families traveling with children younger than 6 years old, will enjoy their game drives in a closed vehicle for safety reasons)
Morning and evening drives are performed in covered 4×4 Landrovers conducted by highly experienced rangers.
Traversing through the reserve, the wildlife is sometimes staggering in its diversity. Enthralling sightings of elephants, a sea of buffalo horns rising from the grass as they lie resting in the growing heat as well as pride of lions, awaits one.
You are guided by your game ranger in an open game viewing vehicle and you are asked to share any particular interests with your ranger who will try to incorporate these into your game drive
On game drive guests will enjoy a sundowner drink at sunset and coffee/tea at sunrise. No persons under the age of 6 years are permitted to join game drives. Children from 4 years up to and including 6 years of age will enjoy game drives in a closed vehicle.
Walking Safari’s are encouraged, after a hearty breakfast, moving through the veld enjoying vistas of unsurpassed beauty and discovering one’s place in the cycle of nature. The diversity of fauna and flora in this unique concession truly comes alive when viewed on foot. Qualified walking guides provide the opportunity for guests to experience the excitement of approaching species on foot. No persons under the age of 12 years are permitted to join the game walks. Kindly ensure to request this activity at the time of booking accommodation as nature walks are subject to the availability of qualified guides
Pilgrims Rest Spa (at Main Jock)
Pilgrim’s Rest, named after the quaint historical mining town featured so prominently in “Jock of the Bushveld” and still in existence today, was a place to rest, rejuvenate and restock.
The Pilgrims Rest Retreat offers an escape to enjoy some pampering. Awaken your senses and allow us to rejuvenate body, mind, and soul. Inspired by surrounding elements that guide us, our selection of body and beauty treatments cater for men and women.
For the avid birdwatcher, abundant species of bird are regularly seen on the concession including raptors such as the Martial, Tawny, and Fish Eagles as well as Steppe Buzzards.
A wide variety of Bushveld Birds is spotted from the comfort of the lodge
Throughout the concession, rock art sites dating back more than 3 000 years are found depicting the spiritual beliefs and lives of the San. During their travels, members of the tribe would congregate around a communal fire, weaving stories and celebrating the gift of life while the Shaman would meditate through rhythmic dancing, singing and clapping and while in a trance, receive visions and guidance. This medicine man would ensure the well-being of the tribe, protecting them from evil and sickness, predicting the future and ensuring good hunting and rains.
These experiences of the Shaman were depicted to the tribe in the form of the rock art seen today. The various sites that were chosen were also very symbolic, the rock depicting the medium between the different realms the Shaman had travelled in his trancelike state. Rock was the medium where 3 worlds met: the world as we know it, the world above and the world below.
Ingredients used for the paint consisted of red ochre, animal bones, coal, and aloe sap. The sap and protein in egg and blood have the ability to preserve the art that exists today. The highlight of a day in paradise is a guided walk to view some of the rock art that abound in and around Jock Safari Lodge. One gets a heightened awareness moving through the bush on foot and a newfound respect for the San who found a way to co-exist with Nature, leaving only a few mystical daubing’s on the rocks as proof of their fleeting visit and the simplicity of their ways, giving one a new understanding and meaning to our fast paced existence.
How better to end a blissful day at Jock but to sit reflecting under the star studded-canopy of African skies, the vastness of infinite galaxies stretching before one.
Leopard Creek Golf Club
Exclusive access to Leopard Creek Golf Club just outside the Malelane gate of the Kruger National Park is available at an additional cost and can be booked with accommodation. Free transfers are offered to guests to the Leopard Creek Golf club. All transfers are made on a game viewing vehicle so your transfer is a game drive in itself!
Jock Safari Lodge is offering something new under the sun – a Frogging Safari. With an estimated 34 different species of Amphibians in Kruger, Jock Safari Lodge and Fitzpatrick’s at Jock ranks as one of the best places for Frogging Safaris.
Froggers are issued head lights, nets, and gum boots and set out after dark. Frogs are caught and identified and then released back into their habitat. Enjoy this unique opportunity to marvel at the kaleidoscope of colours and the choir of sounds emitted from these tiny creatures, some no bigger than your thumb.
High Season Dates: 15 - 31 DECEMBER 2016High Season Rates:
R6020 per adult per night sharingNormal Rates:
RATES & OFFERS –
STAYING BETWEEN 12 JANUARY TO 14 DECEMBER 2016
R5405 per adult per night sharing (2 per room)
STAYING BETWEEN 15 - 31 DECEMBER 2016
R6020 per adult per night sharing
STAYING BETWEEN 01 - 11 JANUARY 2017
R6 925 per adult per night sharing
STAYING BETWEEN 12 JANUARY - 30 APRIL 2017
R6080 per adult per night sharing
PRICES INCLUDES DAILY
• lunch, dinner, breakfast,
• high tea,
• two game drives,
• guided walks,
• tea, coffee, water,
• game drive beverages,
• tourism levy and VAT.
Please ask your Safari-Destinations consultant regarding a group discount for bookings of 8 adults or more.
All rates & offers are subject to availability at time of booking
Prices applicable to rooms and/or tents occupied by one adult can be requested.
Safari Destinations do offer discounted rates. Discounts depends on when the booking is for, the amount of people and duration of stay. Better rates are guaranteed.
Facilities at Fitzpatrick’s at Jock
The nearby Fitzpatrick’s at Jock, offers personal service in an intimate atmosphere. Perfect for small parties and families.
• Rock swimming pool
• Lounge with television and library
• Second lounge with fire place
• Perimeter electric fence
• 2 of the 3 rooms can sleep a maximum of 2 adults sharing with 2 children (age dependent) per room
• 3 King/Twin bedded Luxury Rooms
• Air conditioning
• Private minibar
• Tea and coffee making facilities
• International dial telephone
• Electronic safe
• Ceiling fan
• En-suite bathroom, with outdoor shower
• This policy applies to all persons from 0 up to and including 11 years old.
• Persons under the age of 12 years are not permitted on any walking safaris.
• Please note that parents travelling with children in South Africa now require unabridged birth certificates. Read more
• Children staying at Fitzpatrick’s at Jock:
• Children from 0 up to and including 5 years are only permitted at Fitzpatrick’s at Jock ONLY.
• Sleeper couches can accommodate a maximum of one child each (7 and older) OR two children per couch (0 - 6 years).
• Cots can accommodate a maximum of one child per cot.
• Rooms accommodating children sharing with parents contains one sleeper couch per room.
• Child minding service is available upon request and can be arranged at an additional cost.
• Children from 0 up to and including 5 years old:
are accommodated at 25% of the adult sharing rate when sharing a room with adults – dependent on the availability of cots and/or rooms with a sleeper couch.
are accommodated at 50% of the adult sharing rate when staying in their own room.
are permitted on game drives conducted within the Jock Safari Lodge Concession
• Children from 6 up to and including 11 years old:
are accommodated at 50% of the adult sharing rate when sharing a room with adults – dependent on the availability of rooms with a sleeper couch.
are accommodated at full adult rate when staying in their own room.
are permitted on game drives.
• Persons 12 years and older are considered adults and will therefore require their own room at the applicable rates.
Note: The camp is situated half way between Skukuza and Malelane gates approximately 35 km in both directions with only 3 km of dirt road. Due to the rules and regulations of the Kruger National Park, nobody is allowed on any Kruger National Park roads during the period of gates being closed. Therefore guests must be at their destination by the time the gates close.
• Jock Safari Lodge & Fitzpatric’s at Jock, is approximately one (1) hour from the Malelane Gate and therefore we recommend that flights to / from Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (KMIA/MQP) are booked to:
• arrive at KMIA/MQP no later than 14h30 on day of arrival
• depart from KMIA/MQP no earlier than 10h00 on day of departure
• No alternative arrangements can be made
We highly recommend that travel insurance is taken out
Kruger National Park Gate Times
JAN 5:30 18:30
FEB 5:30 18:30
MAR 5:30 18:00
APR 6:00 18:00
MAY 6:00 17:30
JUN 6:00 17:30
JUL 6:00 17:30
AUG 6:00 18:00
SEP 6:00 18:00
OCT 5:30 18:00
NOV 5:30 18:30
DEC 5:30 18:30
• 25% Deposit will be required within 14 days of reservation being made
• Balance will be required 40 days prior to arrival
• Full pre payment will be required at time of booking for reservations made within 30 days of arrival
Peak Season (15 December – 11 January)
• Only written cancellations will be accepted; please ensure you receive an acknowledgment of cancellation from reservations
• 50% of fee if cancellation is less than 60 days prior to arrival
• 100% of fee if cancellation is less than 30 days prior to arrival
• Only written cancellations will be accepted; please ensure you receive an acknowledgment of cancellation from reservations
• 25% of fee if cancellation is less than 30 days prior to arrival
• 50% of fee if cancellation is less than 15 days prior to arrival
• 100% of fee if cancellation is less than 7 days prior to arrival
Group Deposit, Payment and Cancellation
· Policy applies to bookings of eight (8) or more people
· A minimum of a 2 night stay applies throughout the year
• A 10% non-refundable deposit may be requested at the time of booking in order to secure rooms, depending on the size of the group
• A 50% non-refundable deposit is payable 90 days prior to arrival
• A 100% non-refundable payment 60 days prior to arrival
How do the prices work?
All prices are quoted and invoiced in South African Rand (ZAR) on “per person per night” basis. All prices are subject to change without prior notice.
• Adult rates apply to persons (12 years and older) sharing one room. Persons 12 years and older are considered adults and will therefore require their own room at the applicable rates.
• Single rates are only applicable when one adult is staying by him/herself in one room . Not applicable when an adult is sharing with a child/children.
• Note that all rooms can sleep a maximum of two adults.
• Persons under the age of 16 years are not permitted on any walking safaris.